Welcome to the Garnet Class Page
Hello. My name is Miss Gay and I am the class teacher for Garnet class this year! This is my fourth year working at Dunsville and I am thoroughly enjoying working with all the children and staff.
Garnet class is a Year 2 class and we work alongside the other children in Diamond and Emerald class. We are very lucky to have Mrs Stewart and Mrs Champion working in our classroom this year.
I studied to be a Primary School teacher, for three years, at Sheffield Hallam University. My favourite subjects are Art, English and Maths. In my spare time I enjoy spending lots of time with my family and friends, going on sunshine holidays, reading, going for long walks and baking!
What have we been up to?
Our topic in the first half term was ‘Memory Box’
To begin our topic we looked at what past, present and future meant. We then focussed specifically on toys from the past. We looked at a range of toys from the past and discussed their materials and features. We sorted toys into old and new and we ordered toys on a timeline. We also went on a fantastic trip to Cusworth Hall museum and we saw, discussed and played with a range of old toys like: spinning tops, marbles, wooden blocks and puppets. We also looked at a range of dolls and explored how they had developed over time. Take a look at some photos of our trip below...
Cusworth Hall Visit September 2016
What are we learning about this half term?
This half term our topic is 'Food Glorious Food'. We will begin our topic by looking at different types of shops, what shops were like in the past and how they have changed. We will then be creating a map of shops in our local area. We will then be thinking more about where our food comes from and explore how all of our food is grown, farmed or caught. We will also look at how some of our food is grown in other countries and we will find out about how our food is prepared in different ways before it is safe and tasty to eat!
We have a lovely farm shop role play in our classroom this half term so you can look forward to seeing some pictures of us busy shopping and working!
Garnet class reminders...
• Please ensure your child brings their reading book and reading record into school every day and takes it home every day, so that they have lots of opportunities to read and enjoy books with adults. Please support your child by hearing them read at home on a regular basis or reading to your child also supports their skills.
- The children will have the opportunity to earn prizes through reading at home. Every time your child reads at home and has an adult sign their blue reading record they will move up a step on our reading rockets. When they reach rocket five they will earn a prize! The more reading… the more prizes!
- The children will have PE on Mondays and Thursdays Please ensure your child has their PE kit in school at the beginning of each week and that all items of clothing are clearly labelled with their name.
- Homework will be given out every Monday. Please support your child to complete their homework, on time, for the following Monday.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to come into school to discuss these between 8.30-8.45am and from 3.30pm onwards.
I hope you have enjoyed visiting our class page. Come back again soon for more information about all the exciting things we get up to in our class and to see photographs of our wonderful work!
Parent letters and forecasts